Mt. Wachusett Red Line(d)
Where: Mt. Wachusett
When: September 22, 2026
With: Solo
Redlining is the practice of recording trails walked, traditionally with a red pen (though I use a yellow highlighter). Given enough visits to an area, the redlined trails begin to dominate and the gaps become evident, and compelling. There's a strong urge to fill in those gaps. Some especially driven hikers have redlined every trail in the AMC's White Mountain Guide, and I've been keeping track of my progress in the Pemigewassett Wilderness in those mountains, but today I set out to complete a more attainable goal: walking every trail and woods road in the Mt. Wachusett State Reservation.
My visits to Wachusett go back to 1987, when Chip & I went out for a winter adventure with XC skis, but we stayed on the lower parts of the mountain. My first visit to the summit was with Wilma in 2014. Since then, I've climbed it a dozen more times. Sometimes solo, sometimes with Wilma, once with Andy & Wilma, and once with a neighbor. And in all seasons. Slowly, I've filled in the trails on the map until there was one path remaining, the Balance Rock Road, one of the Reservation's unpaved interior roads.
The road crosses the ski area slopes, so the walk had to be done before it closed for the ski season, and I decided today was the day. Nothing on the calendar, no chores to do. The sky was overcast when I arrived at the visitor center parking lot, and the temperature was a bit cool. I left my North Face sweater in the car at first, figuring I'd warm up once I got moving, but quickly changed my mind and retrieved it.
The first part of the walk was the route I followed last time, taking the Donbrowo Trail toward the ski area. It emerged from the trees at the base of my objective - Balance Rock Road. A quick check of my phone app confirmed I was in the right place and up I went. The road ascended between two ski slopes, then turned north to cut across the other slopes. About halfway across, underneath the area's main ski lift, a side road let to the Bullock Lodge, a stone building that serves refreshments to skiers. Operated by a local farm, it was built in the 1930’s by the Civilian Conservation Corps as the mountain’s original field stone ski lodge.
I took a quick walk around the building, peering in the windows, before heading back to the road to continue my climb. After passing across the final ski slope, the road entered the woods and continued to the junction with the Balance Rock Trail. I heard voices and looked to see a group of hikers gathered around the Rock, a short distance from the road I was on. A lone hiker crossed the road in front of me, heading up the Old Indian Trail, while I pushed on up the road. There was no one ahead of me that I could see.
And that's how it stayed for a while, an easy walk along the wide, smooth road through a beautiful woods in pleasant weather. The road was dead straight for quite some time before turning to climb along the slope of the mountain. A stone structure at a stream crossing created a small pool (the Needham Pool). Perhaps for swimming or just beauty? It was dry today though, and I kept walking.
As I neared the junction with the North Road (another unpaved reservation road), a couple of park staff passed me in a four wheeler, heading uphill. This was the end of the new paths for me (and the completion of my redlining quest). From here on I was on roads and trails I'd traveled before.
I turned onto the North Road and followed it to a viewpoint I recalled from a walk I did with Wilma. It had a picnic table, a bench, and an expansive view to the north and west. The overcast had cleared away and I could see to the horizon in all directions. Mt. Monadnock, the Green Mountains in Vermont, and more.
A bit more walking brought me to the start of trail walking. Specifically, the Semuhenna Trail. I hadn't been on it since that first hike with Wilma. It was a pleasant, well-worn path, making its way mostly across (rather than up) the mountain. It passed the junction with the West Side Trail before continuing to, and ending at, another junction, where I had two options. The first was the Harrington Trail, which offered a rugged climb to the summit with an side path to another viewpoint. The second was The Link, which led over to the Mountain House Trail, which would go to the top. The latter option was a bit longer, but somewhat easier. I hadn't been on The Link in quite awhile, so that's the route I took.
I was at the summit soon after. I climbed the tower and did a quick walk around the perimeter. There was maybe half a dozen folks there with binoculars, spotting scopes, and such, calling out birds they were spotting. Maybe an organized group outing, or perhaps catching some of the fall migration. Back down in the summit area, I noted a man with ham radio gear (antennae, laptop). Per a friend of mine, there's a ham radio activity where you get to a high point and try to contact distant stations.
All done now, I made my way down to the Pine Hill Trail, another CCC project. The entire path consists of large stones making steps up the mountain, with other rocks along the sides to prevent erosion. Quite artificial-looking, compared to the rustic footpaths elsewhere in the reservation, but pretty in its own way and very impressive.
It made for an easy descent, as I was able to rock hop my way down the path. It ended at the Bicentennial Trail, and from there it was a quick walk back to the car. Just under 5 miles, in just under 2 hours. A nice day.
Final note: I went commando on this hike (no, not THAT commando). I carried nothing but my phone and my wallet. Trail runners on my feet, hat on my head, but no backpack or hiking poles. It made for a very pleasant excursion.





